Monday, April 7, 2008

El Baasemento por favor!

The superintendent of my building is this really nice Hispanic guy named Miguel. He has an assistant named Val, which looks like someone of Western European decent. The other day I walked into the elevator with them from my floor and here's the conversation that took place:

Val: *presses the "B" button on the elevator panel & says in a faked heavy Spanish accent* El Baasemento! *smiles proudly*
Miguel: Whaaa??
Val: El Baasemeto! We're going to the basement. That's how you say it right? *smiles proudly*
Miguel: *looking slightly offended* Uh. No.
Val: Oh.

When I walked out of the elevator I laughed so hard.

Lesson of the day: Add a heavy fake Spanish accent to any English word, and add an "O" at the end & you get instant Spanish! Who needs Pimsleur, Berlitz, or the Rosetta Stone!! LOL!!~

No comments: