Monday, February 4, 2008

Basil Chicken - Gai Gra Paow

This is one of my favorite dishes. Really quick and easy to make too! Thought I should share it with you. Enjoy! :)


------------------------------------------
Ingredients: (serves 2)

  • 1/2 lb Chicken (Ground or Boneless)
  • 1-3 Large Cloves of Garlic
  • 3-7 Thai Chili Pepper
  • 3 tbs Fish Sauce
  • 2 tbs Canola Oil
  • 1-2 bunches of Holy Basil
  • 1 tsp sugar

If you didn't get the ground chicken, then you will have to chop it up and mince it first.



Mince the cloves of Garlic



Mince the Chili Pepper



Add the oil into the pan and set it on a high heat. When the oil is heated up add in the garlic and the pepper.



When the garlic starts to brown add in the chicken. Stir it constantly.



As the chicken cooks it releases some juices. Keep stir frying until the juices evaporate. Add in the fish sauce and the sugar. Stir in well. Add in the basil and stir it into the meat and remove from the heat.



Serve with rice & enjoy!



This dish is often served with 'Nam Pla Plig' which is a Chili Fish Sauce.

Nam Pla Plig
Ingredients:
  • 1-4 Thai Chili Pepper
  • 3 tbs fish sauce
  • 1 small shallot
  • 1/4 lime

Chop up the chili peppers and the shallot and add to a small bowl. Add in the fish sauce and squeeze in the lime juice.

This sauce is a must have at my dinner table!

5 comments:

Cassandra Jupiter said...

Azry!!! I love this post. Is it really that simple? I can't wait to try it. I've been using a six sense approach to making it with inconsistent results. You seem so all knowing and my mouth is already watering. And that baaachor (butcher knife in Thai, hehehe) is downright scary. I bow to your greatness.

Cassandra Jupiter said...

Er, not baachor (that's ground pork), I meant bangtor!
I think the key ingredient I was missing is sugar.
BTW, I love this dish with a fried egg.

Azryelle Asterius said...

Hahahahah!~ You're so crazy Cassandra! But yea, I think sugar is in MOST Thai dishes.

Azryelle Asterius said...

If you really enjoyed this post, maybe I should make more food tutorials. Hahaha... :)

Cassandra Jupiter said...

I'm not worthy! :)
Let's have lunch instead. Do you work near midtown?